Here are six things that doctors say can help seniors prevent memory loss:
- Keeping your brain active. Challenging your brain and mental abilities is believed to stimulate brain cells and keep your thinking sharp. This may include reading, writing, developing a new skill, or relearning old skills. Various brain games, puzzles and problem solving can help.
- Letting go of stress. It’s been shown that prolonged stress over many weeks can cause memory loss by altering brain chemistry and damaging the hippocampus, which is where the brain stores new memories.
- Staying socially active. Relationships with other people can improve mental performance. Social activities often are intellectually stimulating, which prompts good memory function. Friends also can provide support when feeling stressed. Research has linked loneliness with an increased risk of memory loss and dementia.
- Exercising regularly. This can keep blood flowing to the brain, leaving the brain cells well-nourished with oxygen and nutrients.
- Staying away from smoking and alcohol. Smokers have been shown to perform worse than nonsmokers in memory studies and tests of thinking skills. Heavy alcohol use is also known to cause memory loss.
- Not suffering head trauma. Head trauma is one of the major causes of memory loss, and has been shown to cause dementia later in life (as shown in studies of professional football players and boxers).
Favorite TV Characters Quiz
We all had favorite TV characters growing up. Here are some popular TV shows from the 1950s, ‘60s and ‘70s. Can you match character and show?
A. Car 54 Where Are You?
C. Dick Van Dyke Show
D. Leave it to Beaver
E. Donna Reed Show
F. The Flintstones
G. I Dream of Jeannie
H. The Fugitive
I. Gomer Pyle
J. All in the Family
1. Hop Sing
2. Mr. Slate
3. Officer Francis Muldoon
4. Eddie Haskell
5. Dr. Alex Stone
6. Mike Stivic
7. Buddy Sorrell
8. Sgt. Vincent Carter
9. Major Anthony Nelson
10. Lt. Philip Gerard
A-3, B-1, C-7, D-4, E-5, F-2, G-9, H-10, I-8, J-6
Angels Senior Home Solutions is a based-in-faith company that provides in-home healthcare and personal care services for seniors. We are pleased to provide caregivers that help to restore independence, health and confidence to the elderly.
For more information, please visit our website at www.angelsinhome.com.